Tomorrow kicks off Denver Startup Week! And I’m ready! If you didn’t already know, this is a really big deal! Because if you looked up the words “entrepreneurship” or “startup” in the dictionary, a map of Denver would appear. Not really, but basically.
Let’s start with the stats…
- Colorado is ranked as the No. 4 state with the most startup activity — with 350 people out of every 100,000 adults becoming entrepreneurs each month — up from No. 7 in 2014.
- Metro Denver landed the No. 5 spot for startup activity, with 370 people out of every 100,000 adults pursuing entrepreneurship each month.
- Denver voted 2nd best city to launch a startup
In a recent article, Denver was referenced as a “hotbed of entrepreneurial activity”. I’m not sure what that is, but I want one!
This week, Denver’s smartest, geekiest, coolest, innovative…est, and most creative people will come together to teach, learn, share, connect and celebrate the hotness of our hotbed. I’m really proud of my city and can’t wait to meet more like-minded people.
In preparation for both Denver Startup Week and Women Who Startup, I’ve prepared an essentials list. You’re welcome! 🙂
Denver Startup Week Prep – 10 Must-Haves
- iPad: Because a laptop could be a pain in the botty to lug around. And make sure you have the Denver Startup Week schedule handy so you know where to go and when.
- Comfy Yet Cute Shoes: Venues are spread out and the last thing you want to do is limp from one event to the next…which is NOT cute!
- Lots of Business Cards: As high tech as our world has gotten, the business card is still a must-have. If you see me around, ask my why I put my face on my cards. 🙂
- Notebook: No matter how many times I try, I just can’t get with taking notes on my iPad. Paper and pen for me please.
- Phone Charger: I’m not sure about you, but my phone gets low quickly and at the most inconvenient times. Make sure you have lots of juice for capturing pictures and video. Oh…and post to #denstartupweek.
- Postcards: For you this could be anything cool you want to share…an opportunity or an upcoming event. I’m hosting a marketing event for Denver startups so I definitely want to spread the word.
- A Book to Donate: The Commons on Champa is doing a book drive to create a library just for us Denver entrepreneurs so go through your stash. I’m bringing my book and a couple others.
- Energy Drink: But not just any energy drink. This one is from Denver Startup, ZumXR. It’s natural and won’t have me crashing halfway through the afternoon sessions.
- Snacks: Because when entrepreneurs are hungry we get grumpy.
- Lipstick: Because…just because.
If you’re reading this and you’ll be there, then let’s make sure to connect! Yay! Olivia